• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Ignition noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob turner

Reaction score
I have a "tick-tick" once every other revolution - kinda hoping it is not inside a mag. I have it isolated to the left mag, and the harness was slightly damaged last time I changed mags (June). Noise started shortly thereafter.

I have not encountered noise this way before - I know how to cure general noise, but not sure on this one. Oneof the leads (swaged Champion, on an S4 Bendix) got sort of pulled when I removed the plate from the mag before changing.

So, questions:

Most likely a spark plug lead?

If so, anybody ever try to shorten those modern swaged- in connections on the mag plate?

If that is not possible, I have all the tools to do Packard 440 shielded, but would need a pair of those older plug wire plates that have screw- in nuts. Anybody have a pair with rubber gaskets in fair shape?

I checked eBay, but Bendix stuff has gone nuts. You can buy one 8-32 fillister head screw with star washer for 12 bucks, free shipping. Last I heard they were a dime each, but I use allen head screws at 20 cents each. And you can get a Xerox parts list for a hundred bucks! Good thing Len has copies . . .

Latest posts

Back