• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

I need advice on J3 90hp Purchase

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aimm

Reaction score
Dear Pilots,

First of all, this is my first post here and I'm fairly new to this forum. I've been reading around for the past couple of days because I'm interested in buying a cub that's available in town.

The cub is a 1946 J3, 90 hp, recently (2012) recovered in Ceconite, 95 hrs on the engine. Here's a link to the broker's site.

http://www.bva-sales.com/home/Home/1946J3Cub.aspx

http://www.bva-sales.com/home/Home/1946J3Cub.aspx

Just saw the plane this morning and it looks beautiful, but I have a few concerns.

First of all, I am located in Denver, CO at an altitude of ~5,000 ~5,500 feet. What's the Cub's ceiling with a 90hp Continental? I would love to be able to fly in the mountains but some passes are at around ~12,000 asl. Is it possible at all or truly impossible?

I also looked for corrosion in the tubes, but the frame is powdercoated black. The plane spent most of it's time in Texas (dry weather?) and now in Colorado (Definitely dry weather). What other things should I look for?

Also, what's the useful load? Approx?

And finally, how complex is it going to be to get wingtank(s) installed? I think I wont be too happy with the 12 gal. one.

I appreciate all your responses!

- AIMM

Latest posts

Back