• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Ground Loops - Discuss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickTx

Reaction score
Newbie here.

Crosswind at 16kts. I bank upwind wing down a little, strong opposite rudder.....then the inevitable ground loop happens! All in a day's work and well replicated in the latest Microsoft Flight Simulator.

"There are indeed situations when an intentional ground loop is good piloting -- as a desperate means of stopping almost on the spot!," says Wolfgang Langewiesche in Stick & Rudder. "After a forced landing in a short field, it is certainly better to ground-loop the ship than to run head into a tree," but Wolfgang goes on to say, "usually, the ground loop is the result of carelessness--and igorance."

What triggers the ground loop? Stick & Rudder says, "the nature of the landing gear itself: because its wheels are forward of the ship's center of gravity, any swerve will always set up forces that will make this swerve worse. The ground loop feeds on itself."

So, it's not the crosswind that causes the ground loops...nor even the sidways drift...I love Stick & Rudder. It's pure theory. I wonder what are your thoughts of this book? Yes, they don't call them flippers anymore...

Latest posts

Back