• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Tailwheel spring bracket

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AOP

In Remembrance 2023
Reaction score
When was the last time you had a REALLY good look at you tailwheel spring bracket? Of course you should give it a decent onceover at annual, but are you sure you got all it was telling you?

I was giving a friend an aerial tour of the Gettysburg Battlefield yesterday and we were landing at the airport to go to lunch. Slight crosswind to the left, like 4 knots. Touched down 3 point nice and smooth and all of a sudden it starts to swing side to side. Like a snake, I have no control- can't move the rudder. We turn 90* to the runway and head for the ditch. Fortunately it wasn't much of a ditch as ditches go, but it was muddy. I added power and held the stick back trying to overcome the inertia and to keep the tail on the ground and finally was able to gain steering to get us back on the runway. Taxied over and tied down and saw what the problem was. The tailwheel spring bracket had failed and was hanging on by force of habit if nothing else. I looked at the tailwheel and it was free-castoring as far as the rudder would let it swing. No wonder I couldn't steer.

On examination, the bracket had been cracked for some time before it failed as the metal on one entire side at the break was discolored and the other side was dark colored about half of it's length. Now I thought I had been giving it a good examination and so did my I/A, but it was covered with grease and dirt and it's black to begin with, and in an awkward position. Take care and really look. The consequences can be really bad.

Latest posts

Back