• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Got to cut some fabric

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hames57

Reaction score
I've been putting off making the cuts in the fuselage fabric, but the time has come to do it. They are the port and starboard holes for the rudder cables.

Prior to covering, I rigged the cables with the rudder, and did some laser measurements on where the holes should be, I've replicated those and marked them on the fuselage. They are different than the holes on the donor fuselage by about a half inch in Y and X directions, but that doesn't surprise me, given the patched up nature of the old fuselage.

However, what I can't divine is whether there is any particular reinforcement around the hole. It looks like the old fabric may have had a plastic piece glued over the hole, bullet shaped, then with a bullet shaped Naugahyde over that which made a crappy looking way to finish out that hole. I'm questioning the need for anything other than the leather type Naugahyde trim piece. I will make the fabric hole with the soldering iron rather than a razor.

Any thought before I get at it? Particularly about the need for other reinforcement at the cable exit holes. I suppose this question also applies to the aileron cable exit holes from the fuselage.

Latest posts

Back