• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Get the Lead Out

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Richgj3

My O-200 on the Legend has 350 hrs on it in 4 years since brand new. I have always used 100LL and recently (last 100 HRS) stared using MMO in the gas. I have not used TCP. I run it at 2400-2500 RPM all the time but I don't lean it much. The exhaust is always a nice light gray color. The plugs (original) never have any lead in them when removed for cleaning at annual.

I thought something was sounding and feeling different lately so we did a leak down. The 2 front cylinders were 50/80 and 62/80 both storming by the exhaust. Decided to pull them both off. The coating of lead on top of the piston and all around the top of the cylinder surprised me. The intake valve is covered in lead. The exhaust is not, I assume because it is hotter.

I'm not sure if the exhaust valve leak is due to the lead or the famous poor quality of TCM cylinders which has been seen by a lot of Sport Cub owners, although those problems seemed to show up sooner than this.

So, the good news is I live 30 mile from Mattituck and the cylinders will be there tomorrow.

Rich G

Latest posts

Back