• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Top end question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sptom

Reaction score
I wanted to get some opinions. I have a C-90 with just over 1000 hours on Superior cylinders. Cylinder compressions at the last test were 40/80, 68/80, 76/80 and 76/80. I borescoped them all and they look okay although there is lots of lead buildup. I pulled the low cylinder and the top of the piston is slightly scuffed above the first ring. It looks like it may have been rubbing on the lead buildup so I’ll need a new piston. What are your thoughts on a reconditioned vs a new cylinder assembly? It only about $400 more for a new cylinder (assuming the old one is rebuildable) so thats how I’m leaning. Would it be a problem to have one new cylinder and three older ones? I think the others may be okay for several more years before overhaul. I’ve used TCP pretty regularly. Anything else I can do to control the lead buildup? Thanks.

Latest posts

Back