• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Fun day in the Cub, new driver, lots of time

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windypoint

Reaction score
Today was a rare day this Summer in Southeast Alaska, decent weather, lots of wildlife roaming and no wind. A friend has a cousin visiting that is a heavy iron driver for UPS in MD-11's. I invited her for a flight and it turned out to be a lot of fun.

She was Air Force trained and I don't think she has ever landed at a non- controlled airport, let alone off pavement. She did a credible job of flying the Cub and even did a couple of landings with a little help with the rudder. I realized that her whole flying life has been departing controlled airspace, climbing to assigned altitude and landing to offload. She had a "blast" and I really think now she will get a tailwheel endorsement at her local military base flying club. I really don't think flying for fun has ever been a part of her life.

Flying among the mountains certainly isn't part of her flying life. I really think she had an epiphany. I hope with good instruction and a little more time in small aircraft, we now will have a new member.

It's funny to imagine that a person with thousands of hours in heavy metal doesn't really understand what it's about for all of us.

Next time you have a chance share your experience with the big metal drivers. You might pleasantly surprised.

Latest posts

Back