• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Fuel consumption

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwightsmall

Reaction score
I have the AL3, open cowl with the O-200 engine and the 69-48 metal cruise prop. I have not been able to get the fuel consumption down to 5 GPH using my normal RPM setting of 2400. I recently made a 2 leg trip (3.6 hours total) and the average consumption was 5.3. The first leg was at 4,500 ft and the 2nd leg was at 9,500. I leaned fairly aggressively by leaning 'til the RPM's began to drop and then sweetened it up 'til RPM's increased and engine was smooth. I leaned in climb too. My cruise RPM's were 2400 with the climb RPM's at about 2450. I was careful to top the tanks off to the same point so I'm sure my fuel burn number is correct. My climb speed was 70 MPH and the descent speed was 80 MPH IAS. Anyone else have numbers for fuel burn that are closer to book values? I'm aware that the book's numbers are for level, steady state flight and so do not include climb or descent calculations but it seems, considering all that, that my fuel burn is still too high. Dwight Small, Tucson

Latest posts

Back