• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

A65 "low" fuel burn?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnnewman

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a new Cub and on the 600mi and 10hr+ flight home the average fuel burn was under 3.5gph. I am concerned this seems very low and maybe the engine is running much too lean. Does this seem like a low fuel burn?

The pilot that flew it home varied power settings from 2000rpm up to 2150rpm to see how it did. But even on the legs of 2150rpm cruise power fuel burn was about 3.5gph.

The engine has a Stromberg carb with no mixture control. I have flown the plane a little, as well as two other pilots. No reports of rough running engine or the engine missing.

Any thoughts on the situation? The only thing that immediately comes to my mind is maybe the tachometer is off. It does hit 2300rpms with full power on takeoff.

Latest posts

Back