• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Engine quits a full power

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerome1

Reaction score
I am struggling with a recurrent problem on my engine (A65-8) for the last two months that I cannot fix and was wondering if one of you could have experienced a similar issue or could help.

This engine has 900Hrs SMOH and runs great. However a couple of months ago it stumble seriously on take-off after around 10 sec at full power and we aborted. We could reproduce the issue on the ground after few seconds at high power.
As a couple of compressions were getting slightly low we decided to do a Top Overhaul and inspect the engine. No particular issue found, new cylinders and pistons installed 79/80/80/80 compression.
On the test flight, take-off was normal and engine was running well. After an hour of flight we did few higher angle maneuvers and a couple of full power check. The engine stumbled again at full power but was OK from 2000rpm. It looked like a fuel supply issue and we decided to send the carburetor for overhaul.
Today new flight test after the carb overhaul. The engine runs really great during the complete first flight. Did various full power check with no issue and thought the problem was solved.
I decide to do a second flight and around 10 seconds after full power on take-off the engine stumble again and loose its power... Re-check the engine on the ground (intake pipes, fuel lines, gascolator filter, ignition, etc...) and everything looks normal. New engine ground-run and the problem occurs again after few seconds at full power. Seems like the engine is starving fuel at high power and as soon as we reduce rpm it runs fine.
Now I am wondering if there could be a particle in the fuel line or reservoir that would sometimes clog partially the fuel supply line ? Maybe need to drain the reservoir and check the fuel line again ? Other than that, no real idea...

Is there anybody who had a similar problem or would have an idea for the trouble shooting ?

Thanks !

Back