• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Engine conversion legally

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NC58374

Flying is a miracle.
Reaction score
After speaking extensively with Mr. Paul Babcock in person about LEGALLY converting my Continental A65-8F to an A75-8F and then LEGALLY installing said engine into my airplane, I thought I would share the procedure in case anybody would like to know. Using the procedures described below, there are several different configurations available but I am just describing the A65 to A75 conversion.

Step 1.
Obtain a copy of Continental Service Bulletin M47-16.

Step 2.
Read it.

Step 3.
Assuming that you read this, you are now scratching your head and saying, "but continental doesn't give permission or even discuss this matter anymore...this is too old.." You are correct. see step 4.

Step 4.
Obtain Continental Service Bulletin M75-6 Revision 1.

Step 5.
Read it.

Step 6.
With these two documents you now have permission to legally convert the engine described in SB M47-16 that you started with (in my case an A65-8F) into the engine conversion that they allow (in my case an A75-8F). They are even kind enough to include the parts list of required parts for each allowed conversion. My engine now becomes an "A65-8FCA75-8F".....whew, that's a mouthful.

Step 7.
"But wait", you say...My aircraft came with an A65 and I would need a field approval to substitute an A75 engine onto my plane.....The FAA won't give anybody field approvals anymore....(see step 8)

Step 8.
Contact Mr. Paul Babcock and obtain his STC "SA00270BO" You may now legally install said engine into your aircraft. You may also increase your gross weight to 1220 legally with this same STC.

Step 9.
Do all this work in accordance with approved and acceptable data and record the proper log book entry and form 337.

Step 10.
Remember, honesty is the backbone of an outstanding technician.

Last edited:
Back