• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

ELT Story

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TricoBob

Reaction score
I want to share what happened to me today with my ELT (ME-406 that I purchased with my Sport Cub). I was in my T hangar installing my new pilot's seat. I have a new seat because mine broke. I am sure that I am the one that caused the seat inspection notice last week. In the process of installing the new seat I inadvertently switched the ELT on when I was working to get the front bolts inserted. I was not aware that it was on but my cell phone rang and it was the Coast Guard and they asked a few questions and determined that my ELT was transmitting and I checked and found that it was on. I turned it off and about 5 minutes latter I got a call from someone at the Air Force Rescue Coordination Center in Fl. Both Callers said that I was not in trouble and that this new ELT is a great improvement over the old type because they know what ELT the signal is coming from and they can make an attempt to call that person.
What did I learn from this:
1. These new 406 MHZ ELT's work like they are supposed to.
2. I am glad I got my ELT registered on the system (I did that because of reading about it on this site).
3. After looking at my ELT a little closer, I discovered that the ELT was situated a little bit to far forward of where it should be in the slot under the seat pedestal which allowed the seat to trip the switch from "armed" to "on" when I had the seat pivoted forward.
4. When working on the seat in the future, disconnect and remove the ELT so it does not get accidentally turned on.
Bob Savage
Oak Harbor, WA

Latest posts

Back