• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Dutch Rolls and other nonedibles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swinger_006

Reaction score
So, this week's lesson was mainly concerned with coordinated turns and intro to dutch rolls.

I did my first supervised solo preflight, and succeded in not taking apart the airplane this time ;D.

Also, first radio work. For whatever reason, my heart was pounding in my throat before I keyed the mic to ask for a clearance! I think radio work has given me the most apprehension. However, it all seemed to go well after the first callup, except I kept calling 19L "nineteen left" instead of "one-niner left." I did the radio work for clearance, ground control, and tower.

First handprop! Ran the checklist down- mags off, check wheel chocks, prop horizontal, two shots prime, four blades, mags hot/contact, clear; left hand on doorframe, left foot against chock, PULL- and, nothing happened. My instructor shut the mags off, I repositioned the prop, and it caught on the second try. I'll admit, I was a bit nervous about hand propping too!

Taxiing is feeling a little more comfortable, but I had a bounce or two on takeoff. Turns felt great, and I apparently had no trouble coordinating well. The dutch rolls are going to need heavy work. I kept trying to follow the nose with the stick, and when I would cross the bank from right to left I ended up being way too leadfooted with the rudders. We tried a few where my instructor worked the stick and I just followed hands off with the rudders. He says the main thing I need to work on overall is just being lighter and smoother on the rudder pedals, and to avoid the temptation to overreact to movement of the nose by kicking the rudder too hard.

Monday and Tuesday will be slow flight (MCA), power off stalls and then power on stalls.

Latest posts

Back