• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Cub Drivers came out of the woodwork!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck2shaw

Reaction score
I spent the last two days in a Flight Instructors Refresher Course to renew my instructors certificate. When the subject of light sport aircraft and light sport pilot rules were covered by the AOPA instructor, he made some comments that I thought needed to be clarified or corrected. He was making light (no pun intended) of LSA aircraft, referring to them as of no use except for mostly local recreational flying. I pointed out that someone paying over $100,000 for a Legend or CC Cub with glass cockpit, and 100 hp updated O-200 engine, or $80,000 and up for some of the LSA aircraft from Europe that have drag added to keep them below 120 knots, are intended for more than flying around the pattern, and will out-run any Cessna 172 I have flown. I then talked about buying a J3 to fly under the sport pilot rules, and how valuable the new rules are to keep people in the air, as well as making a pilots rating a little easier.

It turned out that several guys (out of a group of 42 pilots) in the room also have J3 Cubs, and some others were also flying under light sport rules, and I got a lot of support. We had a good discussion about all this. On one break a guy brought up that he thought Aeronca Champ 7ACs were better aircraft than J3s, and that started another round!

Did not get to fly, but 16 hours talking aviation with a good bunch of folks made it a great weekend.

Latest posts

Back