• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Continental A-40 Crankshaft

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbjr

Bill Batson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I though some of the forum members might enjoy seeing a Continenal A-40 crankshaft and how it differs from an A-65. I attached some photos of mine that I'm getting ready to clean and install. It was inspected, magnafluxed, and measured by the University of Illinois Aviation School at Champaign in 1995 and found to be servieable but has been in storage since.

Note it has only a front and rear main bearing - no center bearing. The taper & hub threads are identical to an A-65/85 shaft and the 65/85 hub will fit but the A-40 hubs have a smaller prop bolt pattern. Shaft has no counter wieghts. The front threaded cleanout plug is the same as a 65/85 shaft also

The A-40 shaft has five welch type plugs that can be removed to clean out the oil passages. Four in the crank throws and one in the rear of the shaft. They have been removed from my shaft and new ones came with the project. Anyone who could give me some tips on installing them please let me know - especially the best way to stake the plugs once installed.

The large plug which goes in the rear of the shaft must be driven in about 3/4 of an inch as the single magneto is driven by the crank gear and the magneto shaft sticks thru the gear into the crankshaft. The original plug's side wall was about 3/4 inches deep but none can be found that match it.

Please reply with any questions or comments
Thanks very much
Bill

100_4544.jpg

100_4543.jpg

100_4545.jpg

100_4546.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back