• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

C-90 Envy...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stearmann4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm on vacation from Washington to Santa Paula, CA. We stopped by Santa Paula airport to hang out with Pete and Rowena Mason. Rowena has been urging me to fly her VERY light J-3 with a C-90 to show me what I'm missing with my weighted down Cub and the A-65.

Holy Cow! I've flown PA-18s that didn't climb out that fast. It actually surprised me as I was expecting the usual 3-4 seconds after I raise the tail before lifting off. Before I got the throttle full forward we were at 60 MPH and I was subconsiously holding it on the ground. By the departure end of the runway were were at 1,200 AGL, and we continued to climb to 2,500 (at 90 degrees!) with ease. I don't remember what pitch prop it had, but I'll make sure I have the same combo when I finish my C-90.

I also had the pleasure of flying with Pete and Rowena's 15 years old son, Sammy who is also many times the Cub pilot I'll ever be. He made sure I conformed to the local course rules which are something of tribal lore. ("Yellow Cub at the junk yard", if a radio is used at all). Unfortunately, I didn't have my best performance in front of the Masons. I wasn't planning on flying and had only flip flops on my feet. Their Cub also has the heel brakes on the outside which places them directly under the rudder pedals, at least it seemed that way for my big feet. In any case, I got a flip flop stuck under a pedal in the flare which made a really unprofessional landing. So much so that as soon as the prop stopped, one of Sammy's friends called on his cell to see if that was him that made the landing.

Pete and Rowena are the folks that put my Cub back together after I lost the engine and landed in a sub division on the way to Lompoc last year. Anyway, super airplane and a wonderful family to do some Cub flying with.

Mike-

Latest posts

Back