• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Best windshield source?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hames57

Reaction score
NC55100 may need a new windshield for it's new boot cowl and fuselage. The old windshield is in very good condition, but it has been trimmed and fit many years ago to a missmatched and poorly repaired and pretty crooked fuselage in the area of the birdcage. I'm not sure that I want to tweak it any more, and maybe starting from scratch with something that is more "factory like" would be best.

I'm not able to get a decent fit at either the top roll-over of the old windshield, and the new fuselage. It looks like the upper part of the old windshield doesn't have enough material to pick up the two "tabs" welded to the birdcage forward "loops" that fit just inside the wing root area.

In fact, nothing lines up. It looks like I'd have to significantly trim the bottom edge of the WS in order to have it pull down low enough to pick up the top U-channel that is supposed to be the mounting point for the top rolle over edge of the WS. If I do that then the sides of the WS move dramatically into an over-lap into the side window area on both sides of the fuselage.

Maybe I'm trying to make things make too much sense, and should just slap the bugger on there, start trimming, and use big bolts to keep it all in place. No, I don't think I want to do that, but maybe that is the way Piper did it in the 40's.

I tried to make sense out of Clyde Smiths current info in the Cub Clues, but I'm afraid it was too generic, and without pictures, I'm lost.

Any suggestions will be appreciated, particularly if they are accompanied by installation pix showing how it is done right.

Harry Ames
NC55100 '46

Latest posts

Back