• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Best Hand Held Radio in 2015

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WV-GWS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, my Yaesu Aviator Pro Hand Held radio finally gave up the ghost after about 15 years of flawless operation. I fly out of a towered Airport (KCKB) and need to acquire another one. I have a question about the newer lithium batteries when in actual use. My old system was essentially this (with the old nicad batteries):
1. I owned 2 Nicad batteries, one in the airplane being used and one in the trickle charger ready to go.
2. I also owned an alkaline battery back which I always carried in the airplane (long shelf life), to use when my nicad would peter out without warning when done.
3. I got back in to the field with a short use of the alkaline battery pack and removed the petered out nicad and set it on the seat when the airplane was back home.
4. The next time I flew, I would take the fresh nicad out of the trickle charger and hook it up to the hand held for use, remove and stow the alkaline pack in the pouch for its next "emergency use", and drop the petered out nicad in the trickle charger. This way I could "deep cycle" the nicads and they lasted a long time.

In practice terms, how can a lithium battery be used ? Do they have real time indicators of their life expectancy ? or just a Low Battery warning ? How much warning do you have ? Can you get back in on it after warned ?
I've also heard they shouldn't stay in the charger for more than 24 hrs which is a hassle to try and remember. I could bring the battery home and charge it but then there is the hassle of forgetting to bring it back to the airport. It can be charged at the airport, but then there is the hassle of remembering to go to the airport 24 hrs later to take it off of charge lest the battery life be shortened. I like the fact that the lithium batteries do not develop a memory but how are they used in the J-3 Cub world ? Would two be better than one ? If they had a real time battery life indicator like an apple computer or iPhone it would help (then only one would do). Do you favor ICOM or Yaesu and why ?
What say you ?
Thanks in advance. WV-GWS :)

Latest posts

Back