• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

"Barn Cub" not flown in 57 years.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j3cub

Former Owner and Admin
Reaction score
This story came from the DFWPilots.org site. Sad that the airplane sat and deteriorated for so long, but happy that someone has taken her in and will get her flying again.
Will

The Ranger Airfield is now home to a unique piece of history. I acquired a 1946 J-3 Sunday afternoon. The plane, which was full of life for a short three years, has not flown in 59 years.

NC7057H was purchased by Charles Moseley of Coleman County in late '46. The plane, assembled in Lock Haven, PA, took a 30 minute test flight and was then flown to Fort Worth in Oct. 46. The trip to Meacham took 14.5 hours. For three years Moseley and his daughter Charlotte flew the aircraft 182 hours, bringing the total airframe time to 197 hours. For some reason in 1950, the plane was pushed into the hangar on their farm after a flight and would wait there to see daylight again on Jan. 18 2009. A 25 ft. Mesquite tree blocked the hangar doors.

The airplane is in remarkable condition. Minimal rust and a considerable amount of cotton fabric remain on the airframe. I would be very surprised if I have to replace any tubing. The family had done a fabulous job keeping up with and taking care of the paperwork. Though they are short, I have all of the aircraft logs and documents from the CAA. The most amazing part of what this airplane has to offer is that it has never been recovered. The details I'm finding and will duplicate should provide this airplane with the opportunity to be the lowest time, most original Cub flying. The only item I plan on altering is to not use the original fabric, which was cotton. I will use the original butyrate dope though.

I have all six instruments (they will be rebuilt), seat materials (they will be copied), belts, and even though they're not usable, the original tires with "Cub" inscribed in them.

Though the plane was completely assembled when I got my hands on it Sunday, I've done a very good job of making it a basket case quick. I've really jumped on this thing and want it flying as soon as possible. I plan on utilizing the plane through my nonprofit, Calvert Charitable Projects, to give rides to kids at Ranger and other flying events. What better way is there to expose a young mind to aviation than through the open door of a Cub.

Take a look at the attached photos.

oldcub1.jpg

oldcub2.jpg

oldcub4.jpg

oldcub3.jpg

oldcub1.jpg

oldcub2.jpg

oldcub4.jpg

oldcub3.jpg

Latest posts

Back