• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Are Tailplanes Handed?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyhoskins

Reaction score
Morning all (well it is for me anyway)

Good old nightshift again for me tonight and this time I've got the Stabs and Elevators in the workshop following paintstripping and initial rub down at home. As per the rest of my parts, these are being stripped to absolute bare metal, polished, inspected etc etc blah blah - but during a tea and thinking moment I wondered are these units handed?

I realise of course that these units are drilled to fit the stab through tube hence they will only fit that particular side with that particular combination of through tube and tailplane. However seeing as I am replacing both through tubes with new (Univair) examples and will therefore be drilling new holes in the through tube - this issue doesn't matter.

So I currently have two pretty good tailplane units (and one spare) which look identical - but are they....? I'm sure for ease Piper would have made them from the same jig, but can anyone just confirm this for me - I would hate to have 3 left units, or I restore 2 left units and leave a right unit as a spare.

Rgds Tony

Latest posts

Back