• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Anything out there for me?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hyperbrowser

Reaction score
Hello! I am somewhat new to this place but have known ever since I first saw one, I wanted to fly a J-3. I have wanted to get in to aviation and have realized the only way I could afford to get into flying would be to build my own aircraft or restore a complete piece of (I'm afraid I can't post that word here). I have decided I would have trouble building anything related to the J-3 with the route I am taking. I once found a man who had a J-3 fuselage for 3K, but by the time I had gotten through to him, he had sold it (story of my life, I just need to be more responsive). I also tried bidding on a flipped J-3 on an insurance aircraft auction. I brought some pics of it to the EAA meeting and they told me it would be a good 4 year project. I didn't care, I had the time, but I didn't win the bid. I have found my most likely choice: an LMA J-3 replica. There's just a small problem: It's wood, not the original steel tubing build. How dare they call it EXACT if it really isn't. So here's my question:

IS THERE AN AFFORDABLE EXACT REPLICA FOR ME, IN MY PRICE RANGE? The original J-3's sold for under 4K, after the war. Surely I can find myself plans for one that I can build for around 15K (less is always better) and one more thing:

IS THERE PLANS OF THE ORIGINAL J-3 OUT THERE FROM THE ORIGINAL FACTORY? Surely some work had weaseled them out and black marketed it to the world. Is it even legal to build one from the original plans (just asking, maybe it's against the law)? This is the original design with the tubed steel, exactly what I want. Finally, the last thing:

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE POINT ME IN A GOOD DIRECTION TO FIND A TOTALED J-3 SO I CAN ACTUALLY AFFORD IT? I don't mind putting the time to work on it.

I have plenty of wielding experience and plan on getting "certified" soon. Please respond and help me out. Thanks to all who post with help.

Connor

P.S. If there is anybody out there with a J-3 in North Texas who has a cub and can offer help, please contact me.

Latest posts

Back