• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

A65 crankcase torque figures?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have removed and fitted the cylinders before under supervision by my previous Inspector using 490-510 in. lbs. (40.8 - 42.5 ft. lbs.) for 7/16" nuts, and 410-430 in. lbs. (34.2 - 35.8 ft. lbs.) for 3/8" nuts.

So far so good, settings make sense assuming equal tension, allowing for the different diameters etc etc

I've never been involved in bolting an A65 crankcase together before, and to make matters sporting, my case is apparently an early model c75, the engine is from 1964:

2 through studs from 2-4 side at rear bearing,
2 10" through 'bolts' at centre bearing,
2 through studs from 1-3 side at rear of front bearing.

All these are 7/16, and all are cylinder base nuts so torqued as above.

Which leaves the 2 through studs at the front of the main bearing, also 7/16, which are crankcase to crankcase.

So are these 2 nuts also torqued at 40.8 to 42.5 ft. lbs?

Confusingly, they fit the description as "Crankcase Through Studs" and would be subject to a lower torque setting. I am off to see the Inspector and the engine this arvo so we'll see.

Maybe one can RTFM too much...

P.S. that leaves the 3/8 stud at bottom of rear camshaft bearing...?

Latest posts

Back