• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

A good day in an L 4

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

140pilot

Reaction score
Well after the biblical rains we have been having on the east coast lately Saturday cleared up and while windy it was time to fly. They were having a private warbird show at a local private grass field and the B 25 was moved over to our field due to the condition of the strip. When it came time to fly just by chance the B 25 was taxiing out so there I was in my OD L 4 following ( at a distance ) an OD B 25 and we are at an old WW 2 strip so I had flashes of being in the war for a few minutes. We had a crowd lined up to see the Mitchell take off and I had a front row seat. After he had cleared the runway I realized the crowd was not leaving. They were waiting for me to go. Though not as impressive I am sure I did show them how to launch a Cub in a crosswind gusting to 18 kts. Sure I was not as loud as the Mitchell but the Mitchell did not take off in 200 feet either!

My 35 mile flight turned into a cross country with a ground speed of 40 mph or less. In fact the Mitchell did its pass and was flying back as I limped along. Again seeing the Mitchell airborne in my L 4 was very cool. Finally got over the war bird field and watched their P 51 do some passes from a distance then after he landed I did a couple passes for fun and then headed out over the ocean to fly down the beach. Saw a few wild horses and some dolphins and then headed for home as the sun started to call it a day. The trip back was in a 25 kt tail wind and then on to a nice landing again in a gusty crosswind..ok 3 landings but no pieces were left on the runway.

You know I have only had this thing for 45 days and it is not without its issues, warped left aileron, jury rigged tailwheel and a couple other minor things but I have to say the thing has been the most fun I have had flying in my 35 years as a pilot.

Sadly my Mitchell pics did not make it but here are a few from the ocean. Life is good.

Oct02_0001.jpg

Oct02_0002.jpg

Oct02_0004.jpg

Oct02_0005.jpg

Oct02_0001.jpg

Oct02_0002.jpg

Oct02_0004.jpg

Oct02_0005.jpg

Latest posts

Back