• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

A few detail questions for L-4J

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

140pilot

Reaction score
My L4 was restored in 2010. The gentleman did a good job with it but it is missing a few details. First My ASI and Tach are modern. I got a box with the aircraft with a C 11 tach with no cable and a C 12 Alt. made by Conn with the green and white numbers. My parts manual calls for a B 12 Altimeter yet the Flight manual from 1945 has a picture which seems to show a B 11 Altimeter. So which is correct? Also the parts manual calls for a B 8 ASI. The flight manual shows that as a max 200 mph asi. Still hunting for one but just wanted to confirm that was the correct range.

On the subject of instrument placement. The parts manual shows the ASI on the inside and the Tach on the outside. My current set up is this way however the flight manual shows the ASI to the outside. Which is correct or is it hit and miss?

I am missing the canvas bulkhead cover for the rear. I found a pattern posted ages ago I have attached. It seems the top of the cover was doped to the fabric with the bottom snapped down. Is this correct? I would prefer simply snapping the top and bottom down. Anyone have any pics that detail this set up. And does anyone actually manufacture these for purchase ? I am also missing my lower belt for the seat back. I am told the upper is all you need and bottom is pretty much useless but I would still like to have one. Does anyone make these?

Other details are the spring clips for the rear stick to attach to the rear desk and the map case that mounts under the desk on the right side. Can you obtain the map case or the clips. I am sure you could use simple hardware store clips but didnt know if they were special.

And finally the plexiglas covered AAF checklist. Any source for these. And last anyone reproducing and stamping the AAF data plate? Mine was missing and would be nice to have another.

The only other items are the antenna reel and the rudder attachment. I think I will pass on those for now. And I am going with a modern fire ext. in place of the old type.

canvas.jpg

canvas.jpg

Latest posts

Back