• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

2 planes that have/can fall(en) into my lap

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whymee

Reaction score
I have fallen into a possible plane purchase. A '47 J3 & a PA18 package deal.

First let me say that my airplane (full scale) knowledge wouldn't fill up a thimble. But I guess a fella has to start somewhere!

I do not have many details as of yet. I have not looked at the planes. They are located pretty close to me though. Owner lost the airstrip where they were flown & packed them away at what I believe is his house. Both have been indoors all their life. I expect to look at them in the next week or so.

PA18: 2K TTAF, 150HP
J3: 12-1300 TTAF, 65 Continental

That's all I know at this point. Not much, eh?

My gut feeling is buy both, sell the J3, and learn to fly the Super Cub.

My question isn't about price, but what should I be looking for? Is there a place/publication/website that has guidelines on buying an aircraft for a complete idiot?

I know some peeps that read this are going to roll their eyes & think WTF. :eek: I am not a complete noob to Full scale aviation, but pretty close. I have restored other moving objects so I know how to twist a wrench and paint. I even helped Dad build an experimental plane back in the early 90's.
My love for aviation has always been there, but always quietly simmering in the background. For the last 10+ years I have built & flown RC aircraft with engines up to 170CC gas motors. I just feel that it is time (with this opportunity) to jump into full scale.

Any tips for a non pilot who is about to jump feet first into the full scale arena?

Blue Skies,

Stan

Latest posts

Back