• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Yee Haw! I soloed.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crew Chief

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made my first solo today in my L-4B. My wife kids me that I am probably the oldest student pilot out there at 64 years old. I waited a long time after raising kids and career to do this and it finally is coming to fruition. It was a beautiful day with a light crosswind every once in a while and some thermals. It is hard to describe the experience. Surreal maybe. It was unexpected when my instructor who is also a close friend, told me to pull over in front of the FBO and he got out. Told me to go do 3 takeoffs and landings with the landings full stop. Without thinking about it, I made three short landings, stopped then took off again. Couldn't see the reason to taxi to the first turnoff then taxi all the way back to the end of the runway and waste all that gas.
It was amazing how much better the L-4 with its little 65 hp Continental performed without the 170 lbs. sitting in the front seat. :)

Great day and very memorable. :D

Solo.jpg

First Solo Shirt.jpg

Latest posts

Back