• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Winter Prep

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moving2time

Reaction score
I am flying my CUB out of a grass field and it gets very wet during the winter and spring and I don't plan on mounting skies so I'm thinking that I should do something to put my engine away for the winter.

I was talking to a fellow Continental owner, flying a Piet-n Pull (Not Spelled right), about it and he mentioned that there is a position to leave your crank so that all of the valves are closed to keep air from circulating inside the pistons. Anyone know how to find that position?

He also mentioned that he watched someone feed a spray of oil through the air intake with the filter removed while the engine was running to coat the inside of the engine. Literally sprayed it through the prop in front of the air intake and it sucked up the oil. They did it till the engine stopped. Then they turned it till the valves were closed to seal it up for the winter.

Another gentleman mentioned that it is best not to crank the engine through during the winter because it would scrape any oil that was coating the cylinders off the cylinder walls.

The comment about locating the position where all of the valves are closed sounds like a good idea. So does not pulling the engine through during the winter. I'm not so sure about spraying oil into the air intake.

Any comments on these suggestions?
Any better or additional ideas?

This is my first year owning a plane. I was able to put more than 40 hours on my CUB since my purchase in July and I am fairly happy with my CUB so far. Looking forward to expanding my reach next season.

Looking for great destinations from Lorain County Ohio. Joe B

Latest posts

Back