• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

While we're thinking about radios

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GulfcoastCub

Reaction score
Hello everyone---I've been a member/lurker for some time now. I'm one of those rare (so I'm told) people in my generation (I'm 29) who learned to fly off a grass strip and is in love with tailwheels. I'm also a CFI candidate---waiting for my checkride with the FAA later this month---and my dream is eventually start giving tailwheel endorsements.

Anyway, I've been flying our '46 Cub for about 10 years now, the past 3 with a handheld radio/portable intercom. I have an Icom AC-24 handheld and a Sigtronics portable intercom. Hasn't really been a problem for strictly air-to-air work or for CTAF advisories, but now that my home field has gone to Class D, the tower is finding it almost impossible to read my transmissions. I got an antenna extension and mounted in the windscreen thinking that would help, but they're still having problems. It's to the point where I'm calling ahead on my cell phone and using light gun signals.

What kind of handheld/portable intercom setups do some of you folks have? Also open to any creative mounting suggestions. The Sporty's suction-cup caddy stuck to the side window is getting kind of old, and my wife is sick of holding the intercom on her lap :).

Latest posts

Back