• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Radio transmit problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottP

Reaction score
I have the following setup in my new to me Cub:

• Sigtronics SPO-42 intercom plugged into ICOM headset/PTT adaptor cable
  • PTT button
  • ICOM IC-A23 hand held
  • Both powered externally by a 12V dry cell battery. Currently at about 12.7 volts.
  • VHF-5T mounted behind the baggage compartment at about a 45 deg angle

A couple weeks ago I landed at a towered field. I could hear tower 18nm out and they could hear me at 10nm out. I talked to tower until I was clear the runway then when I switched to ground they couldn't hear me. Neither the tower or ground could hear me when I departed. I changed the PTT button and headset/PTT adaptor because the insulation was peeling from the ones that came with the plane. I've tested it a few times having friends with a hand held or people in the FBO give me a radio check and they said they could hear me fine when I'm in the pattern. But it seems intermittent. For example, yesterday I was 2nm out and made a pattern entry call and a friend (who I could hear fine) who was in the pattern said he didn't hear a thing. The day before I'd called 5 miles out and 2 planes in the pattern heard me. I checked and the transmit light is red on the hand held when I push the PTT button.

Any suggestions on where to look? I hate intermittent problems.

Latest posts

Back