• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Weekend Adventure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlakeH

Reaction score
Well,
It has been a little quiet on the float end of things here, so I thought I would tell about my weekend trip north.

I departed Mankato, MN in my 46' on Aqua 1500's to rendezvous with Zach Jackson of Brainerd and his 46' on Edo 1320's. The plan was to fly another 160 miles to Ely, MN and pick up some breakfast on the way.

We had a beautiful tailwind, and the folks at Grand Rapids Seaplane Based greeted us and drove us back to the hangar for some good chow.

We departed Grand Rapids and whisked just to the edge of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area, in Ely, MN.

After reminiscing for a while, we toured the USFS beaver operation. They have a hell of nice place, and three good looking beavers as well.

After an afternoon of looking at real estate, and test driving a floated J3 with VG's, we went to the bar and took tequila shots.

The next day we were clear headed and fought helacious headwinds back south. I believe our groundspeed was around 35 kts. My GPS fell off the ceiling of my plane and snapped the antenae that evening, so I am not real sure. Good thing I had my map, 400 miles of road following later, I made it home.

What a ball.

ELY1.jpg

ELY4.jpg

ELY6.jpg

ELY3.jpg

ELY8.jpg

ELY7.jpg

pat2.jpg

Latest posts

Back