• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

Wanted: Genuine L-4, must be fully documented with no gotchas

sdusngod

Reaction score
prefer fully restored a/c, original as practical..

would consider lesser condition but no converts.

sure could use some help here, guys...

I've bothered to check out 6 so far that lacked "real" documentation, and no go.

thanks again,
Robert Davis
Kokomo, IN
[email protected]

jimrice

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
What constitutes fully documented?

cubrath

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Robert,

Just curious, what was lacked "real" documentation? Are you talking about whether it was a real L-4, or the restoration itself lacked documentation?

NickTx

Reaction score
Maybe lacked log books all the way from the factory?

43-29080

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know quite what "fully documented" means. Remember that the original log books were not provided when these aircraft were sold off by the RFC. I settled for a "real" L-4A with original data plate and logs that go back to the early 1950s.

Then, restoration started.

I Kept the aircraft as original as I could, but airworthiness considerations had to trump originality in the cases of worn out componants for which original NOS spares were simply not to be had.

70 years is a long time. There are no totally original L-4s out there.

L-4A43-29080N515247.jpg

Last edited:

FreddyK

Reaction score
Having a full set of logs on a L4 is rather unusual.... as 080 said logs were not normally provided, there are a few out there, but as a rule, don't count on it.....

bob turner

Reaction score
I think original logs are becoming rare on J-3s as well. It is not a problem unless you collect old documents. They say it impacts the value, but I wonder . . .

I have all the original documents. They are artifacts, not related to the quality of the airplane.

mnflyer

Reaction score
Mine had all the original docs. Aircraft Checker's Log, Prop history card, engine history card, CAP logs, etc. What mattered was the log entry from the rebuild. I could prove the spars were the original from the factory, after Piper gave me the details on my airplane, but after I replaced them, what did it matter?

jimrice

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I have my great grandfather's axe. My grandfather changed the handle and my dad changed the head, but it is my great grandfather's axe...

FreddyK

Reaction score
Mine had all the original docs. Aircraft Checker's Log, Prop history card, engine history card, CAP logs, etc. What mattered was the log entry from the rebuild. I could prove the spars were the original from the factory, after Piper gave me the details on my airplane, but after I replaced them, what did it matter?

yours is the only one I knew about, there maybe a few more out there but, who really knows ....

Latest posts