• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Updated Free Weight & Balance Calculator

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck2shaw

Reaction score
I have tried again. This revision is easier, and much more flexible. You enter gallons of fuel, and I calculate the weight for you.
Attached are two copies of my J-3 Cub Weight and Balance Calculator.
Click on the small orange text lines that begin with a paper clip icon at the bottom of the message. Several people missed them on my earlier version.

WHEN YOU GET THE FILES OPEN, SAVE THEM WITH A NEW NAME TO YOUR COMPUTER, AND GO FROM THERE.

They are Microsoft Excel based, so if you don't have Excel, you will not be able to open these.
One version has data from MY aircraft entered in the yellow shaded boxes, so you can see what it is supposed to look like.

The BLANK version has no data in the shaded boxes, so it has all the #DIV/! messages showing in a lot of the calculation boxes. These are NOT errors. Enter the correct data for your aircraft in the yellow boxes and everything else will be calculated automatically. You can them print it out, and carry it in your aircraft.

This calculator has columns for take off with pilot and passenger and landing with pilot and passenger, which allows for calculation with reduced fuel load, just like the big guys have to do. There also are two sets of columns for Pilot only operation. Here you can enter all the junk you place on the front seat!

This calculator allows you to enter the moment arm for wing tanks if you have them, and then when you enter the gallons of fuel in the wing tanks (total for both tanks if you have two), the weight and moment are all figured automatically in the c.g and gross weight calculations.

Near the bottom of the form are some Go-No-Go statements which will automatically show if you are within the max gross weight and c.g. limits, or over weight, or outside the c.g. limits. The second row will tell you if you enter too much baggage weight. Experiment with loadings, and see how difficult it is to get out of the c.g. range!

This calculator is provided for use at your own risk. Manually check the answers if you want, and please check my formulas.

One issue is OIL WEIGHT. On modern aircraft, the oil weight and moment arm are included in the empty weight and moment figures on the aircraft w&b sheet. This form assumes that this is the case with your Cub. If you know that the oil is NOT included in the empty weight of the aircraft, there is a box to enter the quarts of oil in your engine. The moment arm shown in the Type Certificate, -29 inches, is already entered in the calculator.

If you have any comments or suggestions please send them by PM or by email to [email protected].

Thanks.

View attachment J3 Weight & Balance Calculator_SAMPLE DATA_Rev1_ 3-08-2009-CSS.xls

View attachment J3 Weight & Balance Calculator_BLANK Rev1_ 3-08-2009-CSS.xls

View attachment J3 Weight & Balance Calculator_SAMPLE DATA_Rev1_ 3-08-2009-CSS.xls

View attachment J3 Weight & Balance Calculator_BLANK Rev1_ 3-08-2009-CSS.xls

Latest posts

Back