• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

TrimCrankExtension Tool

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck2shaw

Reaction score
A few months ago there was talk about the problems of cranking the trim and working the carburetor heat in a J3 with shoulder harness pulled tight that doesn't have the automatic locking recoil device. I have been using a bent-up heavy coathanger to reach the trim crank and carb heat, but not too successfully.

I came across this heavy duty paint stirring stick at Lowe's lumber yard, and with minor mods it works great. Cut if off to 18 or perhaps even 17 inches, with a slight "V" shape at the bottom to make it easier to push the carb heat knob in, and drill a hole that fits over the knob on the trim crank. The paint stick has enough width and strength to make if easy to hold and crank the trim while shoulder harness remains tight. Carb heat is pulled out with a small line tied around the handle, going back to the right side of the rear seat frame, and shut off with the stick. My first version wood-work is crude, but you craftsmen can make nicer ones and the cost is very low. Could even be painted Cub Yellow, but I wanted to save the Lowe's mark so used clear poly. This stick will fit in the gas tank filler neck also, so can be calibrated as a fuel dip stick. No patents pending.
Chuck Shaw

5841CubTrimExtension.jpg

5843CubTrimCrankTool.jpg

5841CubTrimExtension.jpg

5843CubTrimCrankTool.jpg

Latest posts

Back