• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Thanks to mgmt - and oil change comments

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob turner

Reaction score
First, this forum is no longer troublesome on my ancient iPad. They fixed it!

Second - I have been changing oil and cleaning screens for a very long time. Never paid much attention in the beginning - dumped the oil in the dustiest place, and made the duster pilots happy.

Screen is always a semi pain - messy, hard to clean up. So I raise the tail for ten minutes, then pull it out and clean up the mess. I will often leave the sump plug out overnight, then fill with oil the next day.

This time I caught a cold, and stopped in the middle of the job. I plugged the sump after about an hour, lowered the tail, and hauled it into the hangar, and went home for Sudafed and tea.

So three days hence, I arrive and pull the screen. Holy Crap! Oil just poured out of there! I have never seen so much oil come out. I did not measure it. Next time I shall raise the tail again before commencing.

Even more of a surprise - when I pulled the sump plug, a half pint of oil came out. I had a tray under there, but I needed a bucket!

After 55 years I need to re-think how I do this!

Latest posts

Back