• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Tips for leaking oil sump O-200

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarryB

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I previously had a pretty drip free engine. This stopped being the case once I had to remove the oil sump (for cleaning up the mess my old starter made when the sprag clutch ate itself and spewed metal into the accessory case).

When I reinstalled the sump the first time round, I used 2 normal gaskets as recommended by some (although parts manual only calls for one.) this was not successful as I would have oil running down from the gasket / flange and dripping from the bottom of the sump, making a fair mess.

I removed the sump again and refitted it, this time with a REAL (brand) silicone gasket. Pretty much the same result. The only thing where I might have slipped up with this installation, is that the mating surfaces might not have been completely dry and free of oil before installing and tightening. I read on the gasket wrapper (after the fact of course) that gasket and surfaces need to be completely dry. I cant say it was but also cant say it wasnt. I did wipe it clean but some time passed before installation so some oil could have seeped from case.

So for those in the know - can surfaces that are not 100% dry cause the REAL gaskets to not seal properly and cause such a lot of oil run down the sump? Any other tips of sorting out this messy trifle?

Latest posts

Back