• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Teaching 16yo son to prop?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbsmith975

Reaction score
I have a son who soled a motor-glider when he was 14.

Flaps, spoilers, fuel pump, controllable prop, mixture control, electrical system, starter.

He soloed our 150 a few months ago on his 16th birthday. Easy peasy.

Now, as Spring arrives, he wants to fly the Cub.

My partner in our Cub is an airline pilot who is going to do spin traing with him before we turn him loose.

And our instructor is an 18,000 hour Beech 18 pilot who will teach him how to fly a tail wheel.

But what about having your 16yo kid hand starting a Cub?

40 years ago I was riding my bicycle to Howard County airport in Indiana, and hanging out with a bunch of crusty old pilots who thought nothing about teaching some kid to hand prop a Cub.

It was not a big deal then, and I don't even remember who taught me how to do it. And have been propping safely for 40 years.

I have never been anxious about my kid learning to fly.

But sending him out on a cross country in the Cub, when he will have to do a hand start...

I learned how to hand prop a Cub when I was 16.

I just didn't tell my parents what I was doing.

Advice?

Latest posts

Back