• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Tail vibration

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a3holerman

Reaction score
Hi,
Have a 46 Cub with a newly installed C90-8. The first several flights were fine with the new engine. After 4-5 hours it was starting to dry up and I was very pleased with the upgrade. The weather was somewhat cold 20's and the trim was getting very stiff. We looked things over and it was found that the fwd stab inner sleeve tube was very tight in the stab attach link assay. Removed the tail and it would not free up with lube and cleaning. Removed the stab link assay and tube and took it to a friend with a machine shop. He honed the link and honed some more till the tube slid without any friction. We discovered too late that the inner sleeve had a very slight bow in it and that was probably the main problem.

Assembled the tail back and it seemed to work fine on a test flight I flew. Got a call from my A/I whom I asked to use the plane whenever he wanted as I would not have much time to fly as was away in training. He asked if I noticed any vibration in the plane with the new engine. I had not. He said that he looked back at the tail and it was shaking around a bit. It seems that in level flight its ok but when pulling back is when it shakes.

He looked it over, tail brace wires, etc. and we did notice that the leading edge of the stabs have play side to side as there is a 1/4" or so gap between stab L/E and stab link on either side. This was there before and seems about the same as the other cubs I've seen. The difference is perhaps due to the "overhoning" we did it moves side to side very easily.

Sorry to be so long winded but wanted to try and describe the problem as best as I can.

Has anyone else seen something like this before? I am wondering if there are any type of spacers available to fill the gap on either side? I am not sure how I'd cut a piece of 4130 tube that thin. The other obvious solution is to get a new tube and link assay.

Any thoughts will greatly be appreciated.

Tom

Latest posts

Back