• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Spark Plug Heat Rating question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a technical question regarding spark plugs and the best size to use on a Continental C90-12F. I am currently using Tempest plugs (which I am VERY pleased with) and when I bought them, the size that Aircraft Spruce suggested as the “correct” replacement for the ones I was currently using (Champion REM38E), were the UREM38E.

I realize that the letter/number nomenclature stands for the Resistor / Thread size / “Heat Rating” / and Electrode for that specific plug. I have had a number of different plugs numbers on my Cub over the years, and I also realize that once you get past the thread mount and electrode style, the real question is ….What Heat Rating does one want to use?

The engine I had was a newly zero timed/rebuilt one and the rebuild company installed REM38E on there (38 being the “Heat Rating”, as the “best fit for the engine/airplane.

When I replaced those with Tempest plugs, Aircraft Spruce recommended the UREM-38E which I am now using. In the Aircraft Spruce catalog, they recommend the UREM40E plug for the C-90-12, but they have told me that if that one is out of stock, they also recommend the UREM38E (to them, it is really a question of which is in stock). They are both legal (as are many other types of plug heat numbers). Don Swords (Don’s Dream Machines) recently recommended the Champion REM37BY as a really good plug for the C-90.

My 2 questions are:
1. What does the “Heat Rating” actually mean? (I’m not afraid if you get technical since it will probably provide a real answer to me)
2. What is the better way to go for fuel efficiency and engine life; Higher or lower?

I am NOT interested in what size folks currently have on their Cub, but rather the technical aspect of choosing the best “Heat Rating” number when one chooses a plug.

Thanks for any help!

Jon

Latest posts

Back