• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

some restoration questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hames57

Reaction score
NC55100 is now all pink, and I'm patching and taping and having a good time. Now it is time to think forward to assembling the tail surfaces. I have the original tail braces, but they are pretty old, and somewhat beat up. I'm thinking it would be a good thing to replace them. Various providers have stainless or standard braces for the tail. Is there an advantage or disadvantage to either of those types of materials?

Also, the forward top edge of my original aluminum fuel tank where the weld bead runs has been worn down for some reason. I can't really figure out what the problem is, because I no longer have the old beat up original fuselage, and can't see any contact to the fuel tank in the new fuselage. I discovered the wear problem when leak checking the tank, and sure enough, it was blowing soap bubbles along two one inch long wear points at the welds. The "bead" of the weld was worn down to the bare facing aluminum pieces, which to the eye looked okay, but under pressure and soap, blew bubbles very nicely. So, the tank is at the welder, but I'm not understanding why it would wear there in the first place.
Any thoughts?

Also, does anyone have a picture of how they treated the landing gear covering at the lower end of the legs? I need something close up with maybe some description. As I look in the gallery, it seems that there are many different treatments. I can't tell if any of them are done as piper would have done them in '46. Any help here would also be appreciated. Barring some solid information, I'm strongly tempted to leave a fairly big gap between the bottom of the V of the leg, and the cover. That is because on the old gear legs that were terribly, and dangerously rusted, it was under the cover that had been taken clear to the bottom of the lower V of the leg. Thoughts?

Latest posts

Back