• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Slick harness wiring question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm running Slicks on the O-200. Firing order is 1, 3, 2, 4 with 1 being rear co-pilot's side (for those planes with side-by-side seating), 3 being front co-pilot's side, 2 being rear pilot's side, and 4 being front pilot's side.

The plane was running smoothly when we sent it off for repair. We had them replace the wiring harness because it was a bit ratty. Plane is now running very rough, seemingly with two, maybe three problems

1) plane is running extremely rich at high rpm, so they leaned the idle mixture screw well outside its normal range (only 1/4 turn from closed, when I would have expected 3/4 to 1 turn from closed). Consequently, plane starves for fuel and stumbles when throttle is applied (I readjusted to within expected range, but have not test run the engine since with the enrichened idle mixture setting).

2) plane was running extremely rich at cruise and takeoff rpm, black smoking at takeoff rpm, but not so much at cruise rpm (looked like an F4 on takeoff :) Today, I looked at the wiring and according to the O-200 overhaul manual cylinders # 1 and 3 are reversed on the aircraft on both mags, which would make 1 and 3 fire 180 degrees out if the overhaul manual is correct. I just called the mechanics and they confirmed that they had deliberately wired the mags backwards from the O-200 overhaul manual because the Slick manual had the wiring reversed, and they complied with the Slick manual. Since the old wiring order matched the O-200 overhaul manual and the engine ran smoothly with the old wiring installed, I suspect that 1 and 3 are now firing 180 degrees out, explaining some of the shudder and the extreme richness. Mags are relatively low time M1755LH and M1745RH.

3) another possible contributor to the shudder was that # 2 exhaust gasket was hung against # 4 intake elbow and was blowing by. Fixed that today, but again -- haven't run the engine to check it yet.

Do any of ya'll (particularly Citabrickr) have any comments and/or thoughts before 1 & 3 wiring is switched and the engine is test run?

Thanks a bunch,
JimC
P.S. Citabrickr, I particularly appreciate your forum contributions on this sort of topic -- a special thanks to you.

Latest posts

Back