• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Difficult time starting A-65 after Rebuilt Magnetos while cold

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeyC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have Slick Magnetos that had 525 hrs on them so I just had the 500HR Service Bulletin done and $1,200 later I have new(ish) Mags. So the Plane Idles pretty low (500RPM), prior to this it idled 600-700. Now, when I do get it started it Idles smoothly, no problem with how the engine has been running. So, My question is, Why am I having a harder time starting the engine? I used to pull It through 6x, leave throttle closed, no Primer and it would fire up on 1-2 attempts. Now, post new Magnetos its been kind of a pain. I try to do everything the same, and after pulling it through 6-10x nothing. I then add primer, seems to flood lol, then I clear it and another 4-5x pulls and it finally fires up with throttle probably a third of the way up. When I shut it down, I don't have an issue with getting it starting again when it's warm, so does that rule out something with the MAGS?.

(The more I think about it, when I give it one shot of prime, after pulling the blade through 6-8x the fuel starts to drip out), so maybe I have been pulling it through way too many times to "prime" it to begin with

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back