• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Setting up a VHF base radio

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kjnastro

Reaction score
I'm not an electrician, so be nice…

I have an iCom IC-A200 VHF radio mounted into a PS-80 powered base unit. I'd like to set it up in the house with a VHF antenna on the roof so I can grab AWOS at the local field and maybe chat with some folks as they cruise over.

I mounted the radio to a length of cable attached to a typical VHF bent whip antenna. Standing on my roof (about 13 feet up) and moving it around, I could in fact pick up AWOS from the local field (8.3 NM) , but just barely.

I do understand that the whip antenna is not designed for omni-directional transmit and receive. I know it's not ideal - but it was free.

So, what do I use? I need something multi directional that will xmit and receive. Reasonable distance and good clarity would be awesome.

Everything online is $300. Does anyone have a better idea of something that might work? Any radio nuts out there that could explain?

Thanks for the tips!

IMG_1296.jpg

Latest posts

Back