• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Comm Antenna Woes…

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam2021

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a whip antenna mounted right below the pilot seat, offset to the left. The antenna is mounted on a sheet of aluminum that is about 6” x 6”, serving as a too small ground plane. The sheet is grounded to the fuselage truss with a bonding strap.

I have two problems with my setup:

1: Ignition noise. At high power settings the EMI from the ignition causes constant static in the radio. I have a shielded spark plugs. Not sure about the p-leads. The noise goes anyway when I pull the power to land.

2: Coverage. I can’t hear stations directly in front of me unless I’m very close. I can’t hear the AWOS from 5 miles. If I turn 20 degrees or so, it comes in good.

I have some ideas to improve my setup:

A: Disconnect the ground plane from the fuse. I’m not sure if it is correct to connect the antenna ground to the fuse.

B: Add strips of aluminum tape to improve the ground plane.

C: Remove the whip and install a dipole antenna in the fuse behind the cabin.

Any ideas on what I should do?

Thanks,

Sam

Latest posts

Back