• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

seeking opinions/guidance - J3 A65 carburator air box

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myj3

Reaction score
For a number of years I have contemplated replacing our current carburetor air box with what appears to be the standard configuration (UA 50495). The one installed now (I don't know the part number) does not run flush with the bottom cowl. It protrudes forward quite a bit and makes removal and re-installation of the bottom cowl rather difficult. It also might cost me .5 mph. It's been that way as long as I can remember (we've owned it since '79). I'm thinking about doing something about it now because the engine is off getting repairs and I'm prone to tinkering when I can't fly. My questions are:

1. Is the current box even approved for this installation? No mechanics have ever squawked about it and I've seen it on at least one L-4. Someone once told me that the air box was from a Tri-Pacer, but I never bothered to research it.

2. If I make the change, do you recommend going with the Brackett air filter or stick to the old style?

3. Does the Brackett mate directly to the carb or is there some attachment kit that I need? I got conflicting information from two different sales guys at Univair.

Thanks for your views.

Mike - '45 J3

Latest posts

Back