• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

air filter replacement or refurb

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myj3

Reaction score
I've got a Maze air filter bearing part number 121494 (Type R-81S) on my A65 that is looking a bit haggard. In past owner-assist annuals, I've been told to either knock the gunk out or use an air hose to clean it. The unit itself has etched servicing instructions, but they are extremely difficult to read. It says something like "wash thoroughly face down in cleaning fluid and ?????????, dip in engine preservative conforming to grade 1 or 2 of ??? spec (mil-spec I presume) ??260 and allow to drain 2 to 4 hours. Wipe ???? excess oil." Questions: What type cleaning fluid and preservative are they referring to? Is it folly to even try to refurbish this thing? I've not worried too much about it in years past, but we just did some major engine work and I'm trying to be prudent about putting stuff back on that will extend the life of the engine. Aircraft Spruce has part number 08-01542 that is similar looking but the dimensions don't match. I confess that I don't have the part number of the airbox handy as it and the logs are 45 miles away from where I'm sitting. Does anybody know where I can find a replacement? General comments? I guess that converting to a paper filter like Brackett is an option, but I don't know much about that either. Thanks in advance for your thoughts on the matter. Mike Y.

Latest posts

Back