• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Same old problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AOP

In Remembrance 2023
Reaction score
In re studying Ken Wakefield's The Other Ninth Air Force, I came across this entry in the Ninth Army journals:

(1) FUSA Arty Air Officer, Maj Bristol, called to say they were moving back to their old strip at Spa today. Also, reported that the 23rd MR&RS is going into quantity production on auxiliary baffles to increase cylinder temperature and produce more heat for carburettor and cabin. (Comment: There is no means of determining cylinder head temperatures. The amount of oil temperature increase does not necessarily reflect accurately the increase in head temps. This is a very ticklish affair. Having already inspected the cylinders of an engine, Lt Zicard is installing auxiliary baffles and will operate the ship for ten hours in the air, then tear down the engine to see if there have been any ill effects from too high head temps before going ahead with quantity production of baffles).

I have seen no mention of an ETO-wide effort to fix or coordinate fixes for this issue. It would appear to have been
left up to the individual Armies as how to address this. There was a regulation prohibiting the blocking of cooling air flow, but I have seen nothing to indicate that this order was in any way modified.

The officer mentioned, Lt. Zicard, was at that time CO of the 50th MR&RS, the AAF squadron assigned to provide level 3 MX to NUSA aircraft.