• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

Rusted Fuselage, No logs, "Great Bye at $10,000"

cub junkie

Reaction score
That might not even sell on Ebay, where fools lurk. I'm always amused by non aviation types that list on ebay, its usually some widjet they found in a big box of estate doodads and they think they struck gold.

chuck2shaw

Reaction score
Of course it will sell, just not for $10K. Bound to be some useable parts on there, and if not, it would make a great backyard play airplane for the kids, or unairworthy static display, just add wings-and-things! I would rather see this cleaned up, assumming it is rusted tubes, and made into a museum piece than some of the beautiful apparently airworthy aircraft that are taken off of flying status permenantly for display.
Chuck keep 'em flying

cub junkie

Reaction score
Of course it will sell, just not for $10K. Bound to be some useable parts on there, and if not, it would make a great backyard play airplane for the kids, or unairworthy static display, just add wings-and-things! I would rather see this cleaned up, assumming it is rusted tubes, and made into a museum piece than some of the beautiful apparently airworthy aircraft that are taken off of flying status permenantly for display.
Chuck keep 'em flying
Well, ten grand starting bid with reserve not met, I think he might have to lower the reserve to sell.By about $9500.00. I would rather hear the story on how it got to the point it is in life.

chuck2shaw

Reaction score
I agree. The stories of these old aircraft are amazing. Just read the one Will posted today about his club's J3. The aircraft on e-bay must have been someone's dream, it just never happened the way it was planned. The articles in Vintage Aircraft, a branch of EAA, often describe a chain of events where an aircraft is damaged, or someone dies, and the aircraft goes into storage, and then gets moved outside to make more room inside, and many are subsequently destroyed beyond restoration. Then someone comes along and restores the remains anyway!
Chuck

Papa Bear

Reaction score
I just received a e-mail from the seller Dad. The Son wants $15,000.00 for the frame!!! This is getting getting better than a Road Runner cartune. Thanks, Papa Bear

cub junkie

Reaction score
A good sandblasting would just reduce that poor thing to vapor. It has non standard rear windows as well. The only way that thing is worth 15 grand is if it has complete logs, C. of A. and a zero time C-90-14 with it.

j3cub

Former Owner and Admin
Reaction score
This is what the eBay Seller sent to me....

" I might be getting the papers and N number. This plane belonged to a Pan Am pilot who passed away in the mid 80's. He had bought the cub to restore it and left it in the back of his 2 acre estate - having never done a thing with it. The daughter - who is the one selling the estate - is trying to find the papers for me. However - I purchased the frame as is and hauled it away from the undergrowth."

j3cub

Former Owner and Admin
Reaction score
Hey, they just lowered the asking price to ONLY $6,850! The Bidding should really start now! NOT :D

Will

cub junkie

Reaction score
They lowered the price and added an explanation to the orginal listing. They still feel like its worth a fortune. It may be the "real thing" according to them but it is more than likely an unairworthy fuselage and will not become one with any amount of work. I repair these things all the time and some of the fuselages are downright scary to the amount of rust insde. If anything this Ebay listing has given us something to talk about.

Latest posts