• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Restoration of N88354

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnsonRyan

Reaction score
I've decided to start a thread documenting the restoration of a 1946 J3. My brother and I are restoring it with a friend who took ownership of the plane back in 2012.

It had previously belonged to Frank Baker of Madison Wi since the 1960's. Some of you may know Frank as I'm sure he made countless friends and aquaintences in the Cub community over the years. He made numerous cross country flights all over the United States and wrote a book about them titled "Cub Tales".

Anyway, as for progress on the restoration we're about ready to start covering the fuselage. We had to weld in a new tail section as a result of some damage incured in a landing incident. All new birdcage, boot cowl channel and window channels ect. Wings disassembled, new spars leading edge, tip bows ect. The plan is to complete a very authentic restoration.

cub.jpg

cub1.jpg

cub2.jpg

unnamed.jpg1.jpg

channeling.jpg

floor boards.jpg

panel.jpg

boot cowl and new firewall.jpg

unnamed.jpg

Latest posts

Back