• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Rear lift strut body is shorter than the sealed replacement

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wannabe

Reaction score
I've run into a problem while installing new Univair sealed lift struts. While changing the struts on the left wing, I noticed that the body of the rear strut was 3/8" shorter than the new strut. I noticed this because I couldn't get the fork to thread in far enough to match the length of the old strut. The right rear strut was the same length as the new strut though. Both new rear struts are the same length as the un-sealed right rear strut.
Another thing I noticed was that the left front strut fork was threaded in quite a bit further than the right front. Both wings.. had roughly 1 degree of dihedral and the washout was good.
I don't think the struts that were on this were the originals because they are wider than the new ones.
I've done a lot of measuring and can't figure out how to correct the problem so that I can install the new left rear lift strut without throwing off the washout. The fuselage doesn't appear to be bent around the lower strut attach points that would shift anything.

Latest posts

Back